- Lower Back
- Forearm Flexors
- Lift a barbell similar to a regular deadlift, or unrack the bar from a rack to get in the default position: standing straight up with the bar hanging from your arms.
- Inhale, brace your core slightly, lean forward by hinging in your hips. Keep your knees almost completely extended.
- Lean forward as far as possible without rounding your back.
- Reverse the movement and return to the default position. Exhale on the way up.
- Take another breath, and repeat for reps.
The romanian deadlift is a variation of the deadlift, where you almost entirely have shifted the work to your posterior chain. The exercise resembles stiff-legged deadlifts, with the difference that romanian deadlifts are done “from top to top”, while stiff-legged deadlifts are done “from floor to floor”. Also, your don’t neccessarily have to touch the floor with the bar in romanian deadlifts (but it is OK if you do). If your mobility is really good, you can stand on a plate or something similar while performing this exercise, in order to increase the range of motion even further without hitting the floor.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.