- Sit on the floor with your back against a sturdy bench.
- Roll the barbell up over your thighs, until it is placed over your hips.
- Place your feet on the floor, about shoulder width apart, with bent knees.
- Place your hands on the bar to stabilize it.
- Push the bar towards the ceiling by extending your hips. Your knees should form a ~90 degree angle at the top.
- Lower the weight and repeat for reps.
The hip thrust is an isolation exercise for your hip extensors, particularly your glutes. The exercise can be varied by using either one or two legs, by elevating your feet for a longer range of motion, or by adding a elastic band between your knees to train your hip abductors simultaneously.
We recommend placing something between the bar and your pelvis to soften the pressure from the bar, like a folded yoga mat, a towel, or a barbell pad.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.