- Lower Back
- Front Deltoid
- Middle Deltoid
- Get into the starting position by cleaning the bar, or lifting it out from a rack. Grip the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, and let it rest on the front of your shoulders.
- Hold your breath, and brace your core slightly.
- Slightly bend your knees, and then forcefully extend them to push the bar up.
- Duck under the bar and catch it on straight arms, by bending your knees like in a squat.
- Stand up on straight legs again.
- Lower the bar in front of you, with control, or lower it back unto the front of your shoulders.
The squat jerk is a variant of jerk that differs from the split jerk in that you keep your feet parallel throughout the lift. Another variant is the power jerk, which resembles the squat jerk, but you only bend your knees slightly, as opposed to the deep squatting position of the squat jerk.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.