Muscles Worked in Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Primary muscles worked:
Secondary muscles worked:
How to Do Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Sit down on a bench with a raised backrest.
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and lift them up to the starting position at your shoulders.
- Inhale and lightly brace your core.
- Press the dumbbells up to straight arms, while exhaling.
- Inhale at the top, or while lowering the dumbbells with control back to your shoulders.
- Repeat for reps.
The dumbbell shoulder press is a variant of the barbell overhead press. The dumbbells increase the demand for shoulder stability, and can also enable a longer range of motion. With dumbbells, you might also be able to move your arms more to your sides compared to a barbell, which can emphasize the training effect of the medial deltoids.
By sitting down, you reduce the need for core stabilization and can focus more on the actual pressing and primarily working muscles.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.