Muscles Worked in the Smith Machine Bench Press
Primary muscles worked:
Secondary muscles worked:
How to Smith Machine Bench Press
- Lie on the bench, pull your shoulderblades together and down, and hold your chest up.
- Grip the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Take a breath and hold it, and unrack the bar.
- Lower the bar with control, until it touches your chest.
- Push the bar up while exhaling.
- Take another breath in the top position, and repeat for reps.
Smith bench press differs from barbell bench press primarily by its completely straight bar path, instead of a slightly arched one. The exercise also has lower requirements for stabilization and balance, which could make it easier to focus on the muscles trained.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.