- Step up close to the bar, so that it is about over the middle of your foot.
- Lean forward and grip the bar with an overhand grip, about shoulder-width apart.
- Hold your breath, and brace your core slightly.
- Lift the bar in a smooth but fast motion. Bend your knees slightly and receive the bar on the front of your shoulders.
- Stand up on straight legs again.
- Lower the bar in front of you, with control.
The power clean is a variant of the clean, where you catch the bar at a higher position. Because you’re not catching the bar in such a deep squat position, many find this exercise technically easier to perform. A disadvantage, however, is that you’re not able to lift as much weight in the power clean as in the clean, since you have to lift the bar even higher, because of the higher catch position.
However, the power clean is still an excellent exercise to develop your explosive strength in the lower body.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.