- Step up close to the bar, so that it is about over the middle of your foot.
- Inhale, lean forward and grip the bar.
- Hold your breath, brace your core slightly, and lift the bar.
- Pull the bar close to your body, with a straight back, until you are standing straight.
- Lower the bar back to the ground with control.
- Take another breath, and repeat for reps.
The pause deadlift is a variation of the deadlift where you have added a pause somewhere in the middle of the lift. In the description and demonstration above, we have chosen to place the pause just above the floor, on the way up.
Pause deadlift is an exercise that can improve your technique and strength for regular deadlifts. By pausing, you have the time to (consciously or not) feel what position you are the strongest in, and which muscles that needs to be tensed and which that don’t. Insert the pause at the position where you want this effect, but as the beginning of the lift is generally the weakest position in a deadlift, that is a general good range to pause in.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.