- Grip the bar with a supinated grip (palms facing you), about shoulder width apart.
- Sit down with your thighs under the leg support, keep your chest up, and look up at the bar.
- Inhale and pull the bar towards you.
- Pull the bar down until it is below your chin or touches your upper chest.
- Exhale and slowly return the bar until your arms are fully extended.
Lat pulldowns train both your lats and arm flexors effectively. Common variations of this exercise includes gripping the bar with a pronated (overhand) grip. Another common variation is to use a one-handed grip and train one side at a time, which enables you to focus more on each sides muscles in turn.
Lat pulldown is a good exercise to strengthen the muscles necessary to do a pull-up.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.