Muscles Worked in Decline Bench Press
Primary muscles worked:
Secondary muscles worked:
How to Decline Bench Press
- Set a bench so that it is in decline, either by adjusting the backrest or by elevating the foot.
- Lie down on the bench, pull your shoulder blades together and down, with a proud chest.
- Grip the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Take a breath and hold it, and unrack the bar.
- Lower the bar with control until it touches your chest.
- Push the bar up while exhaling.
- Take another breath in the top position, and repeat for reps.
The decline bench press is a bench press variation that shifts more of the load to your lower chest muscle fibers. Remember to set up safety racks on your sides while decline benching, as you cannot roll the bar down your belly if you fail.
>> Return to exercise directory.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.