- Set a bench so that it is in a decline, either by adjusting the back rest or by elevating the foot.
- Lie down on the bench, pull your shoulderblades together and down, with a proud chest.
- Grip the bar slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Take a breath and hold it, and unrack the bar.
- Lower the bar with control, until it touches your chest.
- Push the bar up while exhaling.
- Take another breath in the top position, and repeat for reps.
Decline bench press is a bench press variation that shifts more of the load to your lower chest muscle fibers. Remember to set up safety racks on your sides while decline benching, as you cannot roll the bar down your belly if you fail.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.