- Step in with your feet directly below the bar, about shoulder width between your feet, and place the bar on your upper back.
- Inhale and brace your core slightly, and unrack the bar.
- Squat as deep as possible with good technique.
- With control, stop and reverse the movement, extending your hips and legs again.
- Exhale on the way up, or exchange air in the top position.
Smith machine squats differ from the free barbell squat primarly by it’s completely straight bar path, something that only happens in the free barbell squat when the bar is loaded with several times the lifters body weight. The fixed bar path lessens the requirements of balance and stabilization, and might enable an increased focus on the muscles being trained.
- Lower Back
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.