- Grip the handles of a safety squat bar, and place the bar on your upper back.
- Inhale, brace your core slightly, and unrack the bar.
- Take two steps back, and adjust your foot position.
- Squat as deep as possible with good technique.
- With control, stop and reverse the movement, extending your hips and legs again.
- Exhale on the way up, or exchange air in the top position.
- Inhale and repeat for reps.
The safety bar squat is a variant of the classic barbell squat. The design of the bar means that the center of gravity of the weights ends up slightly further forward than they do in a barbell squat, which can make it easier to squat deep with good technique. By gripping handles instead of a straight bar, the requirement for mobility in the shoulders is also reduced somewhat.
Experiment with foot placement to find one that feels good.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.