Muscles Worked in Power Snatch
Primary muscles worked:
Secondary muscles worked:
How to Power Snatch
- Step up close to the bar, so that it is about over the middle of your foot.
- Lean forward and grip the bar with a wide overhand grip, close to the weight plates.
- Hold your breath, brace your core slightly, and lower your hip closer to the floor.
- Lift the bar in a smooth but fast motion, by extending your legs and knees simultaneously.
- Once the bar has reached maximum speed, bend your knees slightly and catch the bar on straight arms over your head.
- When you’ve got control of the bar, stand up straight.
- Lower the bar in front of you, with control.
The power snatch is a variant of the snatch, where you catch the bar in a higher position. Because you’re not catching the bar in such a deep squat position, many find this exercise technically easier to perform. A disadvantage, however, is that you’re not able to lift as much weight in the power snatch as in the snatch, since you have to lift the bar even higher, because of the higher catch position.
However, the power snatch is still an excellent exercise to develop your explosive strength in the lower body.
>> Return to exercise directory.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.