Muscles Worked in Hip Thrusts With Band Around Knees
Primary muscles worked:
Secondary muscles worked:
How to Hip Thrust
- Sit on the floor with your back against a sturdy bench.
- Place an elastic band around your knees, just below them.
- Roll the barbell up over your thighs, until it is placed over your hips.
- Place your feet on the floor, about shoulder width apart, with bent knees.
- Place your hands on the bar to stabilize it.
- Push the bar towards the ceiling by extending your hips. Your knees should form a ~90 degree angle at the top.
- Lower the weight and repeat for reps.
The hip thrust is an isolation exercise for your hip extensors, particularly your glutes. By placing an elastic band around your knees, you increase the load on your hip adductors, i.e. your gluteus medius.
We recommend placing something between the bar and your pelvis to soften the pressure from the bar, like a folded yoga mat, a towel, or a barbell pad.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.