- Lower Back
- Forearm Flexors
- Grip the bar with an overhand grip, about shoulder-width apart, and lift it up to get into the starting position.
- Hold your breath, and brace your core slightly.
- Lower the bar along your thighs, down to about knee-level, by bending your hips and knees.
- Reverse the movement, and lift the bar in a smooth but fast motion by extending your legs and knees simultaneously. Then squat down again to receive the bar on the front of your shoulders.
- Stand up on straight legs again.
- Lower the bar in front of you, with control.
The hang clean is a variant of the clean exercise, in which you have removed the first pull from the floor. This makes the hang clean a potentially easier variant to begin with for learning the clean, since you don’t have to focus on as many steps.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.