- Place a barbell on two blocks, so that it is resting just above knee height.
- Lean forward and grip the bar with a wide overhand grip.
- Inhale, and brace your core slightly.
- Lift the bar in a smooth but fast motion, by extending your legs and knees simultaneously.
- Once the bar has reached maximum speed, squat down deep and catch the bar on straight arms over your head.
- When you’ve got control of the bar, stand up straight.
- Lower the bar down to the blocks again, with control.
The block snatch is a variant of the snatch exercise, in which you have removed the first pull from the floor. This makes the block snatch a potentially easier variant to begin with for learning the snatch, since you don’t have to focus on as many steps.
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.