- Place the bar on your upper back, breath in and brace your core slightly, and unrack the bar.
- Take two steps back, and adjust your foot position.
- Squat as deep as possible with good technique.
- With control, stop and reverse the movement, extending your hips and legs again.
- Breathe out on the way up, or exchange air in the top position.
- Breathe in and repeat for reps.
The squat is a classic exercise to develop lower body strength and muscle, and a competitive event in the sport of powerlifting. The exercise may require individualization of technique to find what suits you best. Experiment with foot placement (hip width, shoulder width or wider), bar placement (up on your shoulders or further down on your back) and shoes (flat or raised heel) to find what feels best.Common variations of this exercise includes front squat (bar placed on front of shoulders) and box squats (squat down to box).
- Lower Back
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.