- Step up close to the bar, so that it is about over the middle of your foot.
- Inhale, lean forward and grip the bar.
- Hold your breath, brace your core slightly, and lift the bar.
- Pull the bar close to your body, with a straight back, until you are standing straight.
- Lower the bar back to the ground with control.
- Take another breath, and repeat for reps.
The deadlift is a classic exercise that trains almost your entire body, and a competitive event in the sport of powerlifting. This exercise requires great core stability and control, and you should strive to keep your spine straight (neutral) during the entire lift.A common variation of the exercise is the sumo deadlift, where the foot position is so wide that your legs are outside your arms.
Want to read much, much more about deadlifts? Check out our massive guide:
Text and graphics from the StrengthLog app.